From Institute to College
“Hard on the heels of Japan’s surrender on August 15,1945, ending the Second World War, the Babson Institute reopened its doors,” wrote retired Babson professor John Mulkern in his detailed history of the College, Continuity and Change: Babson College, 1919-1994.
Jump To Section
“Certainly we’re changing, but [it’s] change which keeps the best of the past, yet which meets the needs of today’s students who will be living in tomorrow’s world.”
– Walter H. Carpenter, former Vice President of Academic Affairs, Babson College
- Babson reopens October 1 with 76 students.
- The Poor’s Printing Building is purchased and renamed for Babson accounting teacher Dwight G. W. Hollister.
- On July 1, Edward Hinckley becomes the fourth President of Babson.
- The Class of 1949 enters Babson to find that the personal secretaries, maid service, and the time clock, all fixtures of pre-war Babson, have disappeared.
- Roger Babson founds his third school, called Utopia College, in Eureka, Kan.
- The first Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (B.S.B.A.) is awarded at the June Commencement.
- The first Founders Day is celebrated November 14.
- The 1,500 pound, 42-inch diameter Hotchkin Bell is hung in Babson Institute Library (now Tomasso Hall).
- In May, the Cup ’n’ Saucer opens in Park Manor.
- The first class in Babson’s new three-year undergraduate program receives its B.S.B.A. degrees.
- The John E. Millea Swimming Pool in Peavey Hall is dedicated November 10.
- The B.S.B.A. is accredited by the New England Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools, effective December 1.
- George Coleman, Babson’s second President, dies July 31.
- The new Park Manor North residence hall opens in the fall.
- The first class enters the newly formed two-year MBA program with 25 students.
- The Institute purchases buildings and grounds from Channing Sanitarium–now known as Woodland Hill, which is chiefly graduate student housing–with the intent of locating the new graduate program on site.
- Babson is elected to membership in the New England Conference on Athletics, officially beginning its intercollegiate sports programs.
- A Newton Apple Tree is purchased from the Pennsylvania Historical Commission and is prepared for planting on the Babson grounds.
- Ground is broken for the Babson World Globe on May 30.
- The first MBAs (six in all) are awarded at the June Commencement.
- Wilson F. Payne becomes the first dean of the Graduate School.
- Husband-and-wife team of Kal Kubinyi and Doris Hall are engaged to create the paneled “skin” of the Babson World Globe.
- Roger Babson resigns as chairman of the corporation.
- Babson holds its first Honors Day on May 19.
- The Babson World Globe is dedicated June 18.
- The Board of Trustees votes to change the name of the Babson Institute Library to the Sir Isaac Newton Library.
- Hall of Flags is dedicated in the Sir Isaac Newton Library on April 19.
- The Babson Chair is offered for the first time.
- Grace Knight Babson, Roger’s wife and business partner, and the force behind acquisition of the Institute’s collection of Newtoniana, dies April 30.
- Edward Hinckley resigns as President.
- Gordon Trim is elected Babson’s fifth President on March 4.
- On June 1, Roger Babson marries longtime associate Nona Dougherty.
- Nathaniel Wright II becomes the first African-American to receive a degree at Babson.
- Liberians John R. H. Bright and Lafayette K. Morgan become the first Africans to graduate from Babson, earning their B.S.B.A.s in March.
- The Boston Celtics begin using Peavey Gym for preseason workouts, which continues for several years.
- The Children’s Convalescent Home, as part of Boston Children’s Hospital is purchased and eventually becomes Forest Hall.
- The earliest known photograph of the Babson Beaver as mascot appears in The Babsonian.
- The last class is required to take Industry Analysis. (Only those who were required to take this course really know what this meant.)
- President Gordon Trim dies suddenly May 5.
- Henry Kriebel, dean of faculty and professor of accounting, becomes Babson’s sixth President on June 5.
- The Evening (aka Part-time) MBA program begins in September with an enrollment of 60. It is directed by economics professor Frank Genovese. The program is coed from the beginning with several women enrolled, but no woman completes an MBA until Carolyn Levosky in 1969.
- The prospect of tenure is made available to Babson faculty for the first time.
- Henry Kriebel is inaugurated February 9.
- Roger Babson’s second wife, Nona, dies July 13.
- Groundbreaking for Trim Dining Hall occurs October 3.
- Trim Dining Hall opens September 7.
- The first Evening MBA graduation takes place in June.
- Babson offers a $1,000 scholarship for any son of any member of the U.S.S. Thresher (SSN 593). The Thresher had gone down during a deep dive in the North Atlantic, April 9, 1963.
- The Division of Distribution becomes the Marketing Division on April 30.
- Roger Babson, founder of Babson, dies March 5 at the age of 91.